an adjoining parish to Great Torrington,
held by Ordulf before the Conquest,
then passing to the Earl of Moreton,
is chiefly noteworthy here as having been the site of a small priory of Austin canons, founded, 1220, by Sir Roger de Beauchamp.
Portions of the original Early English structure are still standing.
The Priory was settled by monks from Hartland, and the two houses were always so far connected that the prior of each had a voice in the election of the head of the other.
The revenues at the Dissolution were valued at £127 2s. o jd .;
and the estate was granted by Henry V IE to Arthur, Viscount Lisle, afterwards passing into the family of Rolle,
and descending to the Earl of Orford and Lord Clinton.
The advowson of Ashwater was given by Richard de Braylegh, temp. Edward III., to the prior and convent of Frithelstock for certain charities. Monkleigh was given to the Priory of Montacute in Somerset by its founder, William, Earl Moreton,
in the reign of Henry I., and after the Dissolution passed to the family of Coffin. Here is the ancient seat and park of Annery,
once the home of the Stapledons, then by marriage of the Hankfords.
This was the residence of Sir William Hankford, born at Hankford, in Bulkworthy, and created in 1413 Lord Chief Justice of the King’s Bench;
the judge who traditionally disputes with Gascoigne and Hody the credit of having committed Henry V., as Prince of Wales, to prison for striking him a blow on the Bench.
Another tradition, probably of equal authority, is connected with Hankford alone.
Walter de Stapledon (or Stapeldon) (1 February 1261 – 14 October 1326) was Bishop of Exeter 1308–1326 and twice Lord High Treasurer of England, in 1320 and 1322. He founded Exeter College, Oxford and contributed liberally to the rebuilding of Exeter Cathedral. His tomb and monument, of great architectural importance, survives in Exeter Cathedral.
Arms of Bishop Walter de Stapledon (1261–1326), Bishop of Exeter, Detail from his monument in Exeter Cathedral (restored): Argent, two bends undée sable (Stapledon) within a bordure of the last charged with six pairs of keys addorsed and interlaced the wards upwards or (bordure of Bishop Stapledon, being the arms of the See of Exeter)
Walter Stapledon was born either at Stapledon in the parish of Cookbury, North Devon or at Annery in the parish of Monkleigh. He was the son of Sir Richard Stapledon, descended from a noble stock. The Stapledons originated at the estate of Stapledon, in the parish of Cookbury, near Holsworthy, Devon. His elder brother was Richard Stapledon (d.1326) of Annery, a judge, whose monument survives in Exeter Cathedral near that of his brother the bishop.
On 13 March 1307 Stapledon was appointed Bishop of Exeter, and was consecrated on 13 October 1308. He went on embassies to France for both Kings Edward I and Edward II, and attended the councils and parliaments of his time. He was twice appointed Lord High Treasurer of England, in 1320 and 1322,
Founds Exeter College, Oxford
Stapeldon founded Exeter College, Oxford, which originated in Stapeldon Hall, established in 1314 by the bishop and his elder brother, Sir Richard Stapeldon, a judge of the king's bench, whose monument with effigy also exists in Exeter Cathedral near to that of his brother. The college was much frequented by sons of the Devonshire gentry for many centuries. The armorials of the college are those of Bishop Stapledon.
Death and burial
Monument to Bishop Walter Stapledon, Exeter Cathedral, viewed from within the choir
Wall painting c. 1326 on ceiling of canopy of monument to Bishop Walter Stapledon, Exeter Cathedral
Stapledon was associated in the popular mind with the misdeeds of King Edward II. On fleeing London before the advancing troops of Queen Isabella, that king appointed Stapledon Custos or "Keeper" of the City of London, the population of which was mostly in favour of the Queen. Foreseeing her forced entry into the City, Stapledon demanded from the Lord Mayor of London the keys to the gates, to lock her out. The following account is related by William de Dene in his History of the See of Rochester. A gathering of bishops took place at Lambeth Palace, south of the River Thames, aimed at arranging a mission of two of their number to convene peace talks between the warring king and queen in St Paul's Cathedral in the City. However all the bishops were wary of crossing the Thames into London, where the population was known to be hostile to them. Eventually The Bishop of London and Stapledon, Bishop of Exeter, appear to have volunteered and crossed the Thames to convene at the Blackfriars, just outside the City gates. Here they met with a group of the Kings Justices (possibly therefore including Sir Richard de Stapledon, the bishop's brother). When the Londoners heard of this they met in the Guildhall and plotted how to ambush, capture and kill the two bishops, and then loot the merchants, and sent out scouting parties to report on the route of their journey. The plot came to fruition when Stapledon was ambushed on his journey. He was accompanied by his elder brother Richard de Stapledon, a Justice of Assizes for the western circuit, who in trying to save him was dragged from his horse and murdered. This is said by Prince to have happened as he rode through the city gate of Cripplegate, when a cripple grasped one of the forelegs of Sir Richard's horse and by crossing it threw the horse and rider to the ground, whereupon Sir Richard was murdered by the mob. Sir Richard's elaborate monument with effigies survives in Exeter Cathedral, near to that of his brother the bishop . The bishop fled for safety into St Paul's Cathedral. However he found no safety there as a mob entered and dragged him out and proceeded to beat and wound him and dragged him to the Great Cross at Cheapside "where those sons of the devil most barborously murdered him" on 15 October 1326. His head was chopped off and his body was thrown onto a dunghill "to be torn and devoured by dogs". Later some of his supporters took away his body and re-
Epitaph by John Hooker
A lengthy epitaph in Latin verse was later composed by John Hooker (d.1601) and was inscribed on a heavy wooden tablet erected in 1568 over his tomb at the expense of Bishop William Alleigh. This was still in place at the time of Prince, who transcribed it. It was destroyed in 1805 by Bishop John Fisher, who erected in its place coronet-
North (rear) side of monument to Bishop Walter Stapledon, Exeter Cathedral, viewed from the north ambulatory. Directly behind the viewer is the monument to his brother Sir Richard de Stapledon
Stapledon's monument is located in Exeter Cathedral in the choir on the north side of the high altar, and is the cathedral's most important 14th-
^ Pole, Sir William (d.1635), Collections Towards a Description of the County of Devon, Sir John-
^ Hoskins, W. G. (1972). A New Survey of England: Devon (New ed.). London: Collins. p. 375. ISBN 0-
^ John Prince, Danmonii Orientales Illustres: Or, the Worthies of Devon, first published c. 1701, 1810 edition. p. 722
^ Prince, p.726
Jump up to:
a b Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 246
Jump up to:
a b Buck "Stapeldon, Walter (b. in or before 1265, d. 1326)" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
^ Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 105
^ Prince's source (as stated in a marginal note) for the murder of Bishop Stapledon is William de Dene's history of the See of Rochester (Historia Roffensis) covering the period 1314–1348 and the reign of Bishop Haymo de Hethe. (Denne, Samuel & Shrubsole, William, "The History and Antiquities of Rochester and Its Environs", 2nd Edition, Rochester, 1817, pp.72–3 ) The manuscript in the Cottonian Library was published in Henry Wharton's Anglia Sacra, 1691 Edition, Vol.1. The passage relating to the murder of Bishop Stapledon is on page 366: ad Fratres Praedicatores tunc congregatos ("then gathered at the Preaching Friars")
^ William de Dene: Episcopos London. & Exon. & alios Regis Justiciarios ad Fratres Praedicatores tunc congregatos ("The Bishops of London and Exeter and other justices of the king then gathered at the Preaching Friars")
^ Prince, p.726
^ Prince, p.724, translated by him from a quoted Latin text