‘ Chipyngtoriton ’ is certainly of older date.
The market is held by prescription, and possibly has a Saxon origin.
History o f Devonshire.
as a municipality dates from Mary; but the seal of ‘ Chipyngtoriton ’ is certainly of older date.
The market is held by prescription, and possibly has a Saxon origin. The town was largely engaged in the woollen manufacture; it is now chiefly occupied in gloving, of which it is a very important centre.
Frithelstock, an adjoining parish to Great Torrington, held by Ordulf before the Conquest, then passing to the Earl of Moreton, is chiefly noteworthy here as having been the site of a small priory of Austin canons, founded, 1220, by Sir Roger de Beauchamp. Portions of the original Early English structure are still standing. The Priory was settled by monks from Hartland, and the two houses were always so far connected that the prior of each had a voice in the election of the head of the other. The revenues at the Dissolution were valued at £127 2s. o jd .; and the estate was granted by Henry V IE to Arthur, Viscount Lisle, afterwards passing into the family of Rolle, and descending to the Earl of Orford and Lord Clinton. The advowson of Ashwater was given by Richard de Braylegh, temp. Edward III., to the prior and convent of Frithelstock for certain charities. Monkleigh was given to the Priory of Montacute in Somerset by its founder, William, Earl Moreton, in the reign of Henry I., and after the Dissolution passed to the family of Coffin. Here is the ancient seat and park of Annery, once the home of the Stapledons, then by marriage of the Hankfords. This was the residence of Sir William Hankford, born at Hankford, in Bulkworthy, and created in 1413 Lord Chief Justice of the King’s Bench; the judge who traditionally disputes with Gascoigne and Hody the credit of having committed Henry V., as Prince of Wales, to prison for striking him a blow on the Bench. Another tradition, probably of equal authority, is connected with Hankford alone.